About the Blog

This blog was created in hopes that I can spare some of the people in my life who have to listen to my constant rambling about gardening. Now they can choose.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

What are you doing and/or planning?

The start of the garden season is upon us as previous posts would show. Currently, I have peas sprouting, leaf plants sprouting, and garlic sprouting. My brussel sprouts are growing and I am waiting on potatoes to sprout so I can begin covering them.

The plan for the weekend is to plant carrots. Put up pea trellises so they can climb and stay out of the dirt (post of follow). Weed the garlic and put down some Preen.

A brief note about the Magic of Preen:

Preen is a granule, when added to the soil, prevents weeds from growing by killing the seeds before they germinate. It should be applied to soil where plants are already established. It will kill your vegetable seeds if they have not properly germinated. However, it is wonderful once you have weeded to be able to apply the Preen and not have to worry about nearly as many weeds. Keep in mind it's not a cure all. You will still get weeds but it lessens the blow and makes weeding much more manageable.

3 comments:

  1. Is Preen organic? We just put our peas trellises last week, and I planted peas and salads so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought a special formula of organic preen. They had it at Walmart. I am pretty sure that I am the only one that doesn't have peas sprouting. Did I do something wrong? I have watered the crap out of them. I really thought that they were good. Oh well, at least I will have a million pumpkins!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Lena they do sell an organic version not every variety is organic but you can buy an organic variety. Julie you may have over watered it is one of the reason things die, one of the most common reasons to boot.

    ReplyDelete