About the Blog

This blog was created in hopes that I can spare some of the people in my life who have to listen to my constant rambling about gardening. Now they can choose.

Saturday, February 16, 2013

Valentines means gardening.

     I tend to schedule my gardening around spring holidays. Valentine's Day means planting indoor plants and gearing up.  St. Patrick's day means planting cold weather outdoor plants and planting warmer indoor plants.  Mother's Day is the kick off for the rest of the garden.
    Now this is not an exact science but it does give me a day to plan toward.  for example last year at this time I tried planting peas and had them in the ground by the 15th of February.  This year the garden is under a foot of snow. As a side note, I saw no advantage to planting peas this early they did come up but no early than the seeds I planted a month later.
     Now is the time of year when I plant my broccoli, and cauliflower indoors. They can handle the cold, and the are harvestable before the nasty caterpillars come out and ruin everything.  During this time I also map out the garden I make a simple table on my computer, and then draw in the rows and plants when I hope to put them. There is a copy of my blank map on the PDFs page.  Lastly I take a seed inventory so I can pick them up in early March or late February to beat the rush.  Anderson's can get pretty crazy in April.

No comments:

Post a Comment