About the Blog

This blog was created in hopes that I can spare some of the people in my life who have to listen to my constant rambling about gardening. Now they can choose.

Monday, May 23, 2011

Why Did They Die? Part 1


Every year millions and millions of home plants die needless deaths. Some can be avoided, others are a mystery or cold cases, if you will. This series is dedicated to some of the reasons plants die.

1-Watering
This in my opinion is the number one killer of plants. I have no research to back this except for what I have seen. Plants are killed by over watering and under watering. I would guess that for most it is under rather than over. Each plant's water needs are different; and how much to water and how often depends on the soil. Most plants do not like to sit in puddles. More often than not they will get moldy, diseased, and die. Plants also don't like to be forgotten which is what I think is the problem for most home gardens. People forget to water. The thing that I would recommend for keeping plants healthy, strong, and properly watered is doing a quick check everyday. Take a quick 5-10 minute walk through the garden. Stick a finger into the soil to see if it is moist or dry. Look at plants to determine whether they look dry or wilted a good sign of under watering. It may take a little while to get the feel of your soil and how often to water but it is worth it to take a quick walk so you can catch problems before they can't be fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment