About the Blog

This blog was created in hopes that I can spare some of the people in my life who have to listen to my constant rambling about gardening. Now they can choose.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

How to Build a Grow Light/Lab


Materials (What I used)

2 @ 4' Fluorescent "Shop Lights" 5' cord attached (Did not Include Bulbs, You'll want some)
5 @ 5' 3/4" PVC Pipes

14-16 @ 3/4" T- Joints PVC
4 @ Elbow Joints 90 Degree PVC
4 @ 2' Lengths of Chain (Smallest Gauge cost-wise)




I started by cutting the PVC pipes into foot long sections. I used a neighbors chop saw for this. I ended up cutting 21 foot long pieces of PVC. The idea was to keep them short for reinforcement purposes.

Then, with the help of my children, I began to assemble the foot long piece into squares using the T connectors. One Square for each side and two combined for the top. We then connected the sides and the tops with additional foot long pieces and the Elbow joints. This was the original frame design. However after looking at it and consulting with my wife and brother (via Skype) I decided to remove the central piece on the top and instead extend vertical legs to help counter with the weight of the lights. This worked much better.

When the frame was built I took the hooks that came with the lights and attached them to the 2' pieces of chain I bought. I then took the ceiling hooks that came with the lights and, after pre drilling the holes, screwed them into the inside of the top cross pieces. Screwing them into the inside allowed me to drape the chain over the cross piece helping to assure that the chain didn't come off the hook. I prefer a chain over twine or other string because it is easy to raise and lower the light as the plants grow.





Quick Bulb Comment:
They make special lights for growing plants which I have at school but Eric from Garden Fork.TV said that regular Fluorescent would work as well so that is what I went with. They key is too keep the light as close to the plants as possible.

2 comments:

  1. Looks interesting. Those lights each hold two bulbs, giving you 160 watts, correct?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep! Four bulbs 40 watts a piece.

    ReplyDelete