About the Blog

This blog was created in hopes that I can spare some of the people in my life who have to listen to my constant rambling about gardening. Now they can choose.

Saturday, February 4, 2012

Growing in the Grow Lab

Well the grow lab works. I have spinach and lettuce sprouting. Here are a few tips that I have learned in the past couple years.

First- Keep your light as close to the plant as possible. This will help keep your plant from getting what they call "leggy." Basically the plan will grow an incredibly long stem. If your plants do get leggy however simply replant them into a larger container keeping the dirt as close to the leaves as possible. The plants need to stay next to the lights due to the fact that the bulbs can't produce light equal to that of the sun.

Second- The lights need to stay on for at least 16 hours for the same reason they need to stay close, power of the sun.

Third- The blogs I have read say to use seed starting soil because regular potting soil has a tendency to harden when it begins to dry. I have used potting soil every year and have not had a problem however I think seed starting soil would be the better choice.

Fourth- This one I think goes without saying but it is important so I will mention it. Make sure that your soil stays moist seed will not germinate as well. Also make sure that your containers have holes at the bottom to allow the water drain out so that it won't create mold and kill the plant.

Containers:
I have used a wide variety of containers. Free is always best so I try to use recycled yogurt cups. If I don't have those I use cheap plastic cups, paper cups can work but they don't hold up to the water very well. I have heard great things about egg cartons so I am trying those this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment