About the Blog

This blog was created in hopes that I can spare some of the people in my life who have to listen to my constant rambling about gardening. Now they can choose.

Monday, March 12, 2012

In Vegetables I Trust

I thought my last post would be more helpful if I shared the vegetables I like and why so here goes.

Beans
I really like Slenderette as a bush variety. The grow long and thin and don't really get too thick however I plant Pole Beans Blue Lake Variety mainly because they are easier to pick as they grow up my trellises.

Beets
Detroit Dark are the most common variety but I really like the taste of Scarlett Supreme, they're what I plant.

Broccoli
I plant Premium Crop because is produces a nice big head, and further pickings produce good sized flowers. I have tried the Packman and didn't really like the size of the flower. However the flavor of both is comparable.

Cantaloupe
I have only really planted Roadside but I absolutely love them. I am trying a new variety this year along with roadside called Ambrosia so we will see.

Corn
I don't plant corn anymore because of the space it takes up and it is pretty cheap in the store if you can't find someone willing to share. However, when I plant it I plant Ambrosia.

Cucumber
I really like Armenian cucumbers and have planted them in past. They are a very different taste and texture. The best part about them is they don't get bitter if they stay on the vine too long. The best regular variety that I have found is Sweet Slice. They are great but they will go bitter.

Peas
I plant two varieties of peas: a pod pea where you just eat the pea seed and a sweet pea where you eat it all. The pod pea I plant is Little Marvel however I am trying Lincoln this year as well, so we will have to see. The sweet pea I plant is Oregon Sugar Pod, they are amazing.

Pepper
I don't do spicy peppers. The two peppers I plant are California Wonder and Orange Sun.

Potatoes
I simply plant Red potatoes nothing fancy.

Squash
My family has always planted Buttercup. It has a much stronger flavor and isn't as bland as Butternut. I am trying Acorn this year so we will have to see with that one as well.

Tomatoes
I plant Roma and that is it. I love the versatility of the Roma it doesn't have a lot of water for salsa, sauces, or other cooking things. They also work great on sandwiches I just cut them lengthwise.

Zucchini
I plant Golden Rush zucchini. It is a yellow zucchini which we like a lot better. A couple other perks is you can see it so it doesn't get too huge and not to mention there is always someone who has a green variety.


The Jury's still out.

Carrots
I have really found a variety I love I have planted Sweetness a number of times but I haven't found any that I love so I am trying a wide variety this year in hope of finding a good variety.

Cauliflower
I am trying Snowball and Stardust for the first time this year. I will let you know what I like.

Eggplant
I am trying the variety Long Purple will share too.

No comments:

Post a Comment